Carolyn Murphy by Steven Meisel


As most of you probably know, I'm a huge fan of underwater photography. I have a little bit of experience myself and have come to appreciate the work of those with higher artistic status. Now, let me just say, Steven Meisel has all of my respect and more and is a wonderful artist. But the shoot he did for Vogue Italia is mediocre to say the least. I first saw the picture above, which is quite beautiful, on fashion gone rogue and was excited for the pieces to follow. However, when I started viewing the entire shoot, I became not only confused but disappointed. To sum up the shoot, there were tattooed, smoking, and pouty models, over saturated and random black and whites, fetus poses with sex appeal (?), airbrushed out nipples, and to top it off, a little mermaid hair flip. One fashion gone rogue commenter even gave Steven Meisel some advice, stating "Take back some control Steven, shoot with passion again, this crap feels thrown together as if you've had to go to work and didn't want to." While some commenters looked the other way and oohed and ahed at the concept of water and photography together, some times it's a good idea to step back and ask yourself does this represent my full artistic abilities?


::photos obtained from fashiongonerogue.com::